Sunday, August 01, 2010

Overland to Bella Coola

I'm hitting the road. I'll be spending a few days with my daughter and her in-laws in Bella Coola, half-way up the BC coast.


300 miles north, then turn left and drive another 300 miles.

The road follows the Fraser River north, then the Chilcotin River west, through rugged, often dramatic country, dry and sometimes harsh, hot in this time of year. The last time I drove the road, years ago, parts of it were still loose gravel; after a few hours of this, we have dust even in our back teeth. The last bit is "The Hill", still gravel, going steeply down 4000 feet to the Atnarko River and the Bella Coola Valley.

Some people make the trip in 13 hours; Google says 14. I always take my time and stay overnight somewhere en route. This time, I'll be taking photos at every stop.

The trip was a last-minute decision, so I'm rushed, packing and planning. I probably will have internet access from Bella Coola, Tuesday evening. If not, then the blog will be quiet until Saturday, probably. I'll have lots of goodies for you then!


Old, old photo (1980 or so) of my little Datsun at the brake/engine-cooling stop halfway down the Hill.

Bye for now!

2 comments:

  1. So do you want to stop by here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I used to own that car, only it was a golden-tan color. It whistled when I drove it, thus we named it "Tweety Bird". I hope you're having an awesome trip!

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger