Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A whole new topic to explore!

About that hairy grass . . .

Hairy grass, with chickweed

This is, again, why I love blogging! Gary Hurd commented on yesterday's post,
An interesting thing about "hairy" grass is that these are structured around phytoliths- opal-like silicates secreted by the grass. Different species have phytoliths with different shapes. We use them in archaeology for environmental reconstructions.
 I didn't know that, and I had to look it up, of course. And those phytoliths are fascinating! It's too late tonight to write, but tomorrow I'll tell you what I found.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger