Tuesday, June 24, 2014

When opportunity knocks ...

We bought one of those tumbling compost bins. I put it together and set it up last Thursday. It's made of recycled plastic, in dull black, supposedly rodent proof. It's not insect proof, though; we're only 5 days into its first cycle, and I'm already noticing a few fruit flies and ants.

And a spider has moved in beside the bin door, handy to her source of fresh meat.

She's in a tunnel- or funnel-shaped web. From the side, it screens her well. From above, not so much.

Under the sheer curtain. The third right foot reaches overhead to keep in touch with the web.

And this is another one that I can't identify. I've sent her in to BugGuide.


2 comments:

  1. Our kids have one. We just don't eat enough to make it whorthwhile!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get to put in garden stuff; the first bin is half full already, with rhododendron dead heads.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger