Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Unexpected colour

It is still raining, but I went out and did a bit of garden clean-up; cut rotting hosta leaves, dead-headed the astilbe, murdered a few slugs, trimmed a hanging basket. And brought in the last of the hydrangea flower heads to dry for a winter bouquet.

These hydrangeas were pale blue, but as they've aged on the shrub, they have turned a dark, dull purple. Looking at them inside, under a bright light, the purple split into splotches and veins of vibrant blues and reds.

Three different flowers here.

On one of the petals, a dust spot moved and, under my magnifying glass, turned out to be a yellow and black spider.

If you look very closely, you can see the silk thread leaving her spinnerets.

She's about the right size to hunt springtails and mites.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger