Monday, November 03, 2014

Another puzzler

I discovered these little white capsules on the outside of my bedroom window. I don't know what they are.

About half the size of a grain of rice.

These were taken from the inside, through double panes, while it poured rain outside. The window is relatively sheltered, so the white capsules were just damp.

I went outside to check, and they looked the same from that side. But I was getting wet, so I took no photos.

There were several clumps, all with those little cyan spots in them. They have the texture, to look at, of bird poop. Formed pellets of bird poop.

What do you think? Insect eggs? Bleached snail poop? The beginnings of a stealthy invasion of interstellar pod creatures?

#UPDATE: I went out and brought a clump in. It detached itself from the glass with only a touch. (That goes against insect eggs, which would be glued down.)

In spite of the heavy rain, they felt barely damp. They crumbled easily.

I looked at them under the microscope. The little cyan specks are still there, and the white mass has a bit of sparkle, like sugar crystals.

Crumbled, they are the same all the way through. The crumbs look fluffy, sort of like my sugar substitute, the kind you spoon into your coffee, not the packet stuff.

There is no odour that I could detect.

I vote for snail poop, bleached. I've never seen white snail poop before. I wonder what they've been eating.

4 comments:

  1. Some of them are a bit irregular in shape, so my suspicions lean towards the possibility of poop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are they crystaline / grainy? they sort of look it.

    Could they be a fertilizer pellet / that some industrious critter thought might be worth caching?
    did you cut one open?

    could they have blown upward from the garden during the recent winds?

    the blue makes me thing fertilizer

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've added an update to the post, as follows:

    I went out and brought a clump in. It detached itself from the glass with only a touch. (That goes against insect eggs, which would be glued down.)

    In spite of the heavy rain, they felt barely damp. They crumbled easily.

    I looked at them under the microscope. The little cyan specks are still there, and the white mass has a bit of sparkle, like sugar crystals.

    Crumbled, they are the same all the way through. The crumbs look fluffy, sort of like my sugar substitute, the kind you spoon into your coffee, not the packet stuff.

    There is no odour that I could detect.

    I vote for snail poop, bleached. I've never seen white snail poop before. I wonder what they've been eating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snail poop is white when they've been eating paper - but in my experience a yellower white and not so pelletized

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger