Monday, February 15, 2016

Sparkly green eyes

Most of the small crabs on the upper intertidal reaches of Boundary Bay were green shore crabs. They were not always green; they can be any colour from white to purple.

Here, on the Campbell River beaches, so far, I have seen mostly purple shore crabs, like this one:

Young purple shore crab, Hemigrapsus nudus.

Since the greens can be purple, and some of the purples are green, they are hard to distinguish at first glance. But the purples have those pretty red or purple polka dots on their pincer arms; the greens don't.

And this one has sparkly green eyes, to boot. Handsome, isn't he?

1 comment:

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger