Monday, July 31, 2017

Ten-lined June beetle

Hard done by: first, I sprayed her with the hose, watering the garden, then I rolled her branch around and flashed lights in her face. But she was patient through it all, barely waving an antenna at me once in a while.

Ten-lined June beetle, all wet. Polyphilla decemlineata.

I know she's female, because her antennae are stubby and round. The male's are huge, layered, and shaped like a woman's high-heeled sandal, or opened up, like a stack of spoons.

Male antenna. From 2011.


In the morning, she was gone. She was not waiting until I watered her corner again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger