Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Temporary quarters

This past week or so, the tides have been much higher than usual. The cormorants' accustomed hangout is underwater much of the time, so they've had to settle for a rock much closer to shore, near enough for me to see their feathers ruffle in the wind.

Cormorant rock, gull rock. No sharing!

Among the dozen pelagic cormorants, the one double-crested cormorant stands out; he's larger, and has a bright yellow bill and throat patch. The pelagics have thin necks, small beaks; their plumage, when the light is right, gleams with iridescent greens and purples.

Zooming in. The light was right.


1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:31 am

    Love seeing these photos. We see cormorants so often, but I didn't know how to ID them. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger