Monday, May 21, 2018

Fat aphids

Every rose has its critter.

Native wild rose, and well-fed aphids, sleeping it off on a leaf.

If you look closely, there are a round, fat, very fat, short-legged beastie and a pointy-nosed critter (a fly or a weevil?) and a couple more half-hidden insects, all foraging for pollen among the stamens of the rose. So tiny! The largest no bigger than the heads of the aphids!

So  busy, so happy (after the manner of insect happiness), so intelligent, smart enough to go out and find a good rose, "knowing" its pollen will be good to eat. Sure, not as smart as you or me, but amazing, nevertheless, if you think about it.

We underestimate the brilliance of the tiny things.

3 comments:

  1. I don't! Evolution has "arranged" their position on the food chain(though I think net a better term) and while I get annoyed if their numbers overflow, evolution has also arranged their predators.Heeeere, lady-lady-lady bug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That general "we" allows for exceptions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything in nature has a place even though we don't always agree. - Margy

    ReplyDelete

I'm having to moderate all comments because Blogger seems to have a problem notifying me. Sorry about that. I will review them several times daily, though, until this issue is fixed.

Also, I have word verification on, because I found out that not only do I get spam without it, but it gets passed on to anyone commenting in that thread. Not cool!

Powered By Blogger